For this recipe I have prepared an Angus burger with Stilton rarebit cheese. We will garnish this meaty dish with a “hamburger sauce” and zucchini fries. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we did!
This time we have a top quality angus burger,
lettuce from my garden, a sauce made with Stilton, a wonderful English blue cheese, sauce and a crispy glass bread. A set of first-class ingredients to achieve
an exceptional dish which we will pair with Protos Tempranillo Ecológico.
Protos organic red wine
The final touch for this dish is its pairing with Protos Tempranillo Ecológico, from Bodegas Protos, one of my favourite wineries. This intense red goes perfect with the meat and rarebit sauce.
This wine is made from 100% Tempranillo grapes, grown by organic agriculture.
it is a very fresh and pleasant wine, with a beautiful cherry red color and aromas of red and black berries, spices and toasted notes. This wine has spent 9 months ageing in french oak barrels.
This food pairing was on the mark, with a beautiful balance between the hamburger and the wine, with neither taste overpowering the other, but the complete opposite, they enhanced each other.
This is a hearty dish, so it is to be eaten as main course. The different tastes and textures and pure culinary harmony. I am including a “hamburger sauce” for dipping that I found in an English website and have become super fan of it.
Now, without further ado, lets begin.
- Category: main dish
- Style: Comfort food
- Main ingredient: Angus burger
- Time: 30mins
- Price: $$
- Difficulty: low
Ingredients & preparation:
For this hamburger I used the Angus burger from renowned Spanish farm Miguel Vergara. This eat is so tender it almost melts in your mouth, and we all know that the quality of the meat is what really makes a good hamburger.
Miguel Vergara has the biggest Angus farm in Spain and only the best ones are chosen for their meat.
How to cook the hamburger:
- Take the burgers out of the fridge an hour prior to cooking them.
- Place a medium sized pan at medium heat and add a bit of olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the hamburgers and cook each side until your desired point (rare, medium, etc).
- Let it sit.
Glass bread hamburger buns
Bought from my favourite bakery!
- 75g Stilton cheese. Diced.
- 100ml pale Ale beer.
- 100ml whole milk.
- 1 medium sized egg + 1 egg yolk.
- 100g Cheddar cheese. Diced.
- Your favourite hot sauce. As much as you want.
- 30g breadcrumbs.
- 10g white flour.
- 2tsps English mustard.
- 1 pinch Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix the 2 eggyolks, mustard and breadcrumbs in a bowl with the Worcestershire & hot sauces. After mixing them, we add the milk and beer slowly and then the cheeses. We mix everything up until a paste is formed.
- 75g Dijon mustard.
- 75g tomato sauce.
- Mix in a bowl the tomato sauce and mustard. Preferably use a blender to emulsify.
- Zucchini, cut as sticks.
- 200ml whole milk.
- 200g white flour.
- Canola oil, to fry.
Put flour with a pimch of salt on a pan and toss the zucchini around until they are covered. Place the sticks into the frying pan at 180º until golden. Drain them to avoid excess oil and let them rest.
- 1/4 zucchini.
- 1/2 red bell pepper.
- 1/2 purple onion.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt & pepper.
Chop all the vegetables in a bowl and sprinkle them with oilve oil, salt & pepper. Its an easy and delicious garnish for the Angus burger.
Assembling the dish
- While the meat resting, place the Stilton rarebit on top generously.
- place the chopped vegetables in a strainer to avoid excess oil.
- Cut the bread bun.
- Place the lettuce inside the bun, the hamburger with the Stilton rarebit on top.
- Place the chopped vegetables on top of the burger.
- Place in two small bowl the extra Stilton rarebit sauce ans the “hamburger” sauce.
- Place the zuchinni fries in another bowl and voilá! food is ready to eat!!
For the rarebit: add the cheeses slowly, and with the other hand keep stirring to create a homogenous batter. it takes longer but it is the extra effort to have a perfect sauce on top of the hamburger.
For the Hamburger: Don’t add much salt to the meat since the sauce is already heavy on salt.
For the Zucchini fries: you can use potatoes if you prefer, I just decided to try something new and loved the result.
This dish is really savory and easy to make! and the sauces can be used with hotdogs, chicken even vegetables such as eggplants, cauliflowers, etc. With the Stilton rarebit sauce you can make Welsh toast, by spreading it on top of flatbread and sprinkle cheese au gratin.
This blog has been translated from Spanish. If you want to visit the blog for more amazing recipes in Spanish, click here.