Today our dish is french mussels in coconut sauce, an amazing dish with an oriental touch. The blend of aromas and spices turn simple mussels into a luxury dish. I will serve them with one of my favorite wines, Protos Clarete, a fresh and gourmand rosé. Perfect pairing for a dinner party at home.
The mussels: we will use french mussels that are small and delicious. These are different than what we are used to eating in Spain, specially the galician mussels or the valencian razon clams. Because mussels are abundant and easy to find, we tend to look past them, however they are extremely tasty and should have the recognition they deserve, because they are also super healthy, low in carbs and fat but high in protein and minerals, such as iron, magnesium, calcium, etc, Mussels are also high in vitamins B, C, E & K as well as folic acid.
Bodegas Protos’ Clarete. My choice of wine for this dish is my favourite rosé, Protos Clarete, that is amazing. As soon as you pour it, you want to try it, its color is a beautiful rasperry with purple hues, clean and bright. Its aromas are amazing, its like you have just teletransported to the forest with wild berries and white flowers surrounding you. That is why it is perfect to accompany this seafood dish. It offers an incredible counterbalance. It was an absolute success!! now for the recipe.
- Category: main dish
- Style: Asian cuisine
- Cooking time: medium
- People: 4
- Price: low
- Difficulty: low
- This recipe does not contain any nuts, gluten not dairy.
Ingredients for french mussels in coconut sauce for four.
- 1kg french mussels
- 1/4 lts coconut milk
- 1 red chilli pepper (or as much as you want)
- 1 green chilli pepper (or as much as you want)
- 1 lemmongrass
- 10gr cilantro
- 4cms freshly grated ginger
- 1 lemon peel
- 1 lime zest
- 4 sliced of lime
- 1 red onion
- 1 leek
- 1 glass of dry sherry
- 2tsp of sunflower oil
- 1/2 tbsp of green thai curry
- 250ml fish stock (without shrimps, it needs to be white)
- Black pepper, freshly crushed, as much as you want.
¿How to cook french mussels in coconut sauce?
Mise en place (cooking instructions)
- Clean very well the mussels & debeard them.
- Cut the chilli peppers into thin slices.
- Cut thinly the cilantro.
- Grate the lemon peel and ginger.
- Dice the onions and the leek.
Step by step instructions:
- fry the onion & leek with a pinch of salt until the vegetables are transparent.
- Add the sherry until the alcohol is evaporated.
- Mash the onion and leed until pureed. Strain.
- Place it in a deep pan and add the lemon peel until boiling.
- pour the lemon zest, coconut milk, red chilli, lemongrass, half the cilantro, lemon slices and juice and the glass of fish stock. Reduce.
- Add the black pepper.
- place the mussels and take them out as they open.
- Place back the mussels and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Presentation of the french mussels in coconut sauce:
Just before serving, heat them, it is essential to serve them very hot. Sprinkle the rest of the cilantro on top to add freshness, and Voilá!!
You can serve them in individual dishes or at the center of the table.